Tuesday, December 22, 2009

200+ Days at Animal Control -- Kev and Miz

For those of you who don’t know a lot about the animal control shelter in Philadelphia, they have taken in more than 34,000 unwanted animals in 2009. That is a hard number to conceive -- 34,000 stories, 34,000 disappointments, 34,000 broken promises. There are approximately 200 cages for dogs. There have been 2 dogs at our shelter for more than 200 days. Thousands of animals came and went from those cages during that time. Last SPRING these 2 boys came to the shelter as strays. That is 29 weekends!

The shelter is full, at capacity. One of these days, it is going to be time for Miz or Kev to free up a space for a new arrival. Is their reward for living in a shelter cage going to be death at the shelter?

Please consider meeting one of these dogs and you will truly be saving their lives. Sniffles & Friends has kindly donated free training to the amazing person who adopts Miz or Kev.

KEV
URGENT- 206 days at the shelter as of Tuesday, December 22, 2009!
My name is Kev (A07740386), I came here as a stray on May 30, 2009. I am still waiting for someone to save me. I’ve seen hundreds of dogs come and go. Some leave in vans packed with dogs and cats that are off to find forever homes with rescue groups. Sometimes people that I recognize come in and take dogs and return in a few weeks with success stories of finding homes for their foster dogs. I’ve seen other dogs leave right from the shelter to families with excited children that are already fighting about whose bed their new four legged family member will sleep in. But I’m still here. I’m a good boy. I’m high-spirited and goofy. I’m energetic and playful. I am good with all types of body handling and being pinched and poked- in fact, he loves being tickled and runs around like a goof if he thinks you want to play! I like to chase toys, take nice walks and snuggling always makes me feel good. It seems that all the good things about me are also the things that have prevented me from finding a home, but I would try really hard if someone would just take the time to teach me to be better with my manners. When I came to the shelter I was just a pup, now I’m in my teenage years and I really hope I don’t grow old here. Or worse. Even though hundreds have passed me by, I have never lost my love for people. I am hopeful.

Photos at:




MIZ
URGENT- 208 days at the shelter as of Tuesday, December 22, 2009!
Miz (A07723129) is a strikingly handsome 9-12 month old light brindle male Pit mix. Poor Miz came into the shelter in May as a stray and still hasn’t gained all the weight he needs to because he’s in a stressful kennel environment! Miz is a playful, athletic, rambunctious boy who desperately needs a home where he can release all his energy and channel it into positive learning. After just a few minutes out of his confining kennel Miz is a different dog and just a few minutes of playing calms him down tremendously. Miz is a smart dog that since arriving at the shelter has already learned “Sit”. He is very handsome with his golden eyes and will steal your heart! He is unsocialized with other dogs- he desperately wants to play but all he knows how to do is jump on them, so he will not be a dog park dog, but could learn to live with a smart dog that can teach him the way of good dog behavior! Help this long term resident today!

Photos at:




The Philadelphia animal control shelter (ACCT) is located at 111 W. Hunting Park Avenue in Philadelphia. They are open 7 days a week. Foster care hours are 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM every day. For more information, contact Natalie (nsmith@pspca.org) or Jill (jsweeney@pspca.org).

No comments:

Post a Comment